Monday, February 23, 2009

What can we do?

If we have concerns about an entitlement mentality, what can we do to alleviate the problem? Does it really help those who truly feel they are entitled to something simply to say they are wrong? Beverly Smallwood, a psychologist, gives some basic advice for entitlement adherees:

THE WORLD DOESN'T OWE YOU; YOU OWE THE WORLD"The world owes me" is a false premise. We have so many life-giving, life-enhancing resources and opportunities at our disposal. These are gifts. They deserve our gratitude, not our indifference. What better way to show our gratitude than to give back? I believe that we are each called and personally equipped to make a difference in this world.
Rather than complaining, let's live the words of Mohandas Gandhi: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."

When looking into the purvasive problem of an entitlement mentality amongst our youth, I came across this interesting video clip that apparently won 2nd place in a contest titled "u @ 50". It's short and worth a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA

It is helpful to see hope emmanating from our younger generations. I am an advocate of exposing inspiring stories to our youth and minimizing the broadcast of bad examples. Any ideas of ways to reach beyond entitlement to empowerment?

2 comments:

  1. Marci, I think the first thing is to help people recognize that there is a problem. Because of the underlying mentality sometimes we just assume that where we are is fine. If we really want to empower people, we need to help them recognize that the world doesn't really owe them. This is a really good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that there seems to be a scarcity mentality and that we have to fight for resources.
    I also believe that there is an abundance mentality, and that there is enough for everyone. We can learn to produce at a better rate, we can learn to teach others to fish for a lifetime. If the sparrow does not worry about food, certainly, we will have what we need. I know that there are many people around the world and even here in the states that do not have what they need, but I believe the resources are available and can be made available. At the same time, if I have a resource and choose to impart, then I think that is better and different than if I am forced to impart.

    ReplyDelete