Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Legislating Entitlement?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it." Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931-2005

Do we as a society perpetuate the entitlement mentality through legislation?

1 comment:

  1. Great quote - you'll have to let me know where you found it. I believe in being charitable to those less fortunate than me, and I am not alone, Americans are typically some of the most generous people here are earth (this isn't just a pat on the back but I know I've read this somewhere).

    However, when I am forced to give my money away to a beauracracy that then chooses how that money should be spent, I lose out in the joy of giving. It disconnects me from my fellow man. I no longer feel responsible for my neighbor because I assume the government is going to do it for me. But then the conundrum because the less fortunate often do get forgotten when it is left up to us to take care of them. Hmmm. Quite the conundrum. I still keep giving and fight for my right to do so. Lets hope it works.

    ReplyDelete