Saturday, March 28, 2009

Back By Popular Demand

Back by popular demand is another satirical approach to the increasingly common sentiment that entitlement to what we think we deserve versus what we can afford is corrupting this nation.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/clips/snl-skit-dont-buy-stuff-you-cant-afford-252491.php

Is the entitlement mentality really just a product of tunnel vision? Have we come to a place where members of our society are incapable of seeing beyond their immediate wants? How do we teach a "work before buy" mentality?

Perhaps comedic clips such as this one will speak to the hearts of some who truly have never understood an "earn it" mentality. While I still believe some entitlement policy is necessary for various populations, clearly there are many in this country that could use some enlightenment on entitlement.

6 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites, I have used this skit at work before. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes this so funny (and in some ways sad) is how true this is. The funny thing is that this came out a year ago - we should've heeded it's advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good clip. Sadly, I met many clients who were living on welfare, had 3-5 children, no significant other (stable s.o.), had to ride the bus to the appointment, yet owned a cell phone that I couldn't even afford. Then, they would complain about their debt problem.

    There should be a public ad campaign using a commercial like this skit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the skit; what a novel concept!
    I have taken a different approach to paying tuition for this degree, and it has improved my fiscal habits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video!!! I'm just down to not buying anything. I take my dad's advice..."If it's cheap that's great, but if it's free take two."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this video a little while ago . . . very funny, but only because it is so true. I know so many people who are in debt problems because of the entitlement mentality. But, I don't think that our culture encourages working before buying. With credit that has been so easy to get, it is no wonder that so many people are facing problems.

    ReplyDelete